A strategic stakeholder for promoting the BioRegion
Biocat, is the organization that promotes BioRegion of Catalonia -the life sciences and healthcare ecosystem in Catalonia- and is working to transform science and technology into regional economic growth and social impact.
Biocat was established in 2006 at the behest of the Government of Catalonia and the Barcelona City Council to provide a joint strategy for the Catalan biosciences as a foundation for the new economy based on knowledge and innovation. Biocat’s governing bodies include representatives from all areas and levels of the BioRegion of Catalonia: companies (biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical technology and services), administration, universities, hospitals, research centers and institutes, science parks and sector support organizations.
Biocat’s strategy is based on three strategic focal points:
1. Driving technology transfer, talent and business acceleration
- Transferring technology from academia to companies
- Training and skills-building for innovative talent and entrepreneurs
- Growing the number and solidity of tech-based startups in life sciences
- Attracting local and international private capital to the BioRegion
2. Own voice and strategic influence
- Providing external support for the administration and institutions in Catalonia in their strategic plans for research and innovation in the life sciences and healthcare
- Representing the innovative ecosystem in the life sciences and healthcare in Catalonia and being an expert voice regarding the challenges and needs of the sector
- Channeling and compiling initiatives in the innovative ecosystem to address the country’s challenge
3. International positioning and influence of the BioRegion
- Boosting the BioRegion’s reputation and alliances with main European and international stakeholders with the capacity to wield influence on a European level
- Projecting and raising awareness of the assets and potential of the BioRegion and its stakeholders in the international community. Participating in and attracting top forums to Barcelona
Biocat té experiència en l'acceleració de projectes de salut i desenvolupament de talent des de 2008. En més de 10 anys, Biocat ha invertit més d’11M € en 300 programes als quals han assistit més de 2.300 persones, i ha accelerat amb èxit més de 96 projectes de ciències de la vida que han generat més de 300 nous llocs de treball.
Biocat has experience accelerating healthcare projects and developing talent since 2008. In more than 10 years, Biocat has invested over €11 million in 300 programs that have helped more than 2,300 people and successfully accelerated over 96 projects in the life sciences that have generated more than 300 new jobs.